The search for this position will be conducted externally by The 360 Group, an executive search firm based in San Francisco that specializes in the philanthropy, social innovation and civic engagement sectors.
For the past 11 years, the mission of the Silicon Valley Community Foundation (SVCF) has been to advance innovative solutions to challenging problems. SVCF has engaged donors, corporations, government and community partners in efforts to make the Silicon Valley region and the world a better place. Under CEO Nicole Taylor’s new leadership, the organization returns to its community foundation roots - focusing its resources on communicating and collaborating with local leaders and helping philanthropists who work with the foundation to be their most effective at accomplishing their charitable giving and community investment goals. She has begun her tenure by focusing on the community foundation’s core work as a solid partner to philanthropists and local community organizations, and working with staff to develop ways to better connect donors and communities and bring creative ideas and solutions front and center. Based in Mountain View, California, SVCF partners with families, individuals and corporations to manage and facilitate their philanthropy by connecting donors to communities’ most pressing needs.
SVCF works to improve people’s lives in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties, and partners with donors, companies and other foundations to address regional concerns that affect local communities. Despite the area’s great wealth, residents are challenged by so much – dearth of affordable housing and accessible transit, financial instability and the precarious safety and security of immigrant residents, regional planning on these issues, among other issues. The community foundation addresses these and other challenges, including early education and empowering community voices to effect change.
SVCF works closely with donors to understand their philanthropic goals and the best ways to accomplish them. From accepting complex assets and establishing giving vehicles, to facilitating grantmaking and other types of investments, SVCF is committed to ensuring donors make the impact they seek.
SVCF partners with community and government leaders to address public policy issues, advance the best ideas and direct its resources swiftly and strategically toward critical issues. The foundation serves as a resource for nonprofit, civic, government and philanthropic organizations.
There are several ways SVCF contributes, including:
- Research: commissioning research to identify emerging issues, monitor trends and provide analysis
- Public forums: bringing people together to engage in discussion and problem-solving
- Advocacy: taking positions on critical issues and advocate for policy outcomes
- Initiatives: launching initiatives and special projects, partnering with other foundations, corporations, nonprofits, donors and government agencies on topics or issues of regional importance
The new leadership team, including new additions, is building on the good work of SVCF staff to bolster organizational culture, and of the board of directors to improve its governance. In a 2018 initiative, staff identified its core values as courage, collaboration, inclusion, respect and accountability – and these form the bedrock of SVCF’s approach to working internally, partnering with donors and collaborating to improve communities.
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President, Human Resources will contribute creative, dynamic, and forward-thinking leadership, promoting the fulfillment of SVCF’s vision and mission by focusing on the highest functioning of the organization and its people. This role will lead, develop, and execute all employment-related services and functions of the organization. The Vice President, Human Resources will guide and support organizational planning and decision-making from the perspective of SVCF’s people needs, including talent and culture development, compensation and benefits, diversity and inclusion, and employee relations. This position will be responsible for ensuring legal compliance, coaching and advising on effective employee relations, and establishing credibility throughout the organization as a problem-solver and advocate for staff. The Vice President, Human Resources will also develop programs and strategies to ensure a strong equity-oriented culture, to recruit and retain talented people of all backgrounds, and to promote the full development, performance and satisfaction of all employees.
Specifically, the Vice President, Human Resources will be responsible for:
- Establishing, communicating, and enforcing all employment-related policies and practices to conform with the organization’s priorities and values as well as external laws and regulations
- Ensuring fair and equitable treatment of all employees
- Promoting a culture of high employee engagement and performance
- Providing consultation and advice to managers regarding a wide range of employee issues; resolving employment-related concerns and disputes
- Ensuring effective internal communications about human resource activities of SVCF
- On an ongoing basis, creating compensation and benefits programs that meet the needs of employees and their families, are cost-effective, and help to attract and retain well-qualified professionals
- Managing the administration of all retirement plans
- Directing all aspects of talent acquisition
- Creating and administering all employee performance planning and performance feedback systems
- Planning and developing effective employee and team development programs and strategies as well as management skills training
- Playing a leadership role in ensuring an inclusive work environment and work culture, and a staff that reflects the diversity of the American workforce, with a focus on equity
- Developing strategies to advance, as well as routinely evaluating, employee engagement
- Overseeing the design and operation of human resources information systems that provide the data necessary for the organization to plan, evaluate, and monitor information related to staffing
- As a member of the senior management team, participate in the planning, management and evaluation of SVCF’s overall performance as an organization
- Acting as the primary contact for outside employment/labor counsel and outside government agencies
- Selecting and managing relationships with all external consultants, brokers and administrators for employee benefits and employment-related services
Profile of the Successful Candidate
The Vice President, Human Resources will possess a deep commitment to talent development and retention, and a passion for the mission and work of SVCF. The successful candidate will be a professional with high standards who is skilled at working on strategic as well as tactical levels, a problem-solver, and a good listener. SVCF seeks a well-balanced professional who is ambitious and able to develop initiatives that will enhance human resource operations, yet who can also be patient and facilitate “bringing others along”. The strongest candidates will possess highly developed interpersonal skills, emotional intelligence, strategic insight, high personal and professional standards of transparency and accountability, understand all that is required to be a successful HR practitioner, and be able to support and advocate for staff at all levels within the organization -- again, with a focus on equity and inclusion.
This is a position that requires the ability to manage a full spectrum of responsibilities, from complex personnel issues to the human capital implications of growth plans. The successful candidate will be proactive and entrepreneurial in approach and mindset, but will also be have strong execution skills. As a prominent regional and national institution, SVCF is interested in candidates with experience in realizing and leveraging the deep value a diverse workforce can contribute to the work of a mission-driven organization.
More specifically, SVCF seeks a professional who has:
- Broad and deep experience in the field of Human Resources Management, which includes employee relations, compensation, benefit programs, retirement plans, talent recruitment, and professional development
- Expert knowledge of federal and state employment laws and regulations, ERISA requirements, and wage and hour regulations
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and sensitively with a broad range of diverse groups as evidenced by excellent listening and communication skills, balanced and reasoned approaches to problems, ability to inspire trust and confidence, and flexibility and openness to differing points of view
- The ability to support and foster a high-performing, collaborative organizational culture, guiding and supporting staff in the successful integration of diversity, equity and inclusion in all aspects of SVCF
- Excellent judgment and negotiation skills, with an eye toward translating strategy into relationships and unparalleled results
- An energetic, entrepreneurial nature that combines intellectual curiosity with analytical skills and political savvy
- Deep understanding of and appreciation for the mission and day-to-day work of SVCF as well as an understanding of the broader field in which it operates
- Exceptional management skills, with an understanding of the difference between leadership and management -- and the ability to exercise both
- Demonstrated ability to work as a collaborative partner within a senior management team
- Effective skills in the investigation and resolution of complaints
- High ethical standards, compassion, and the ability to make fair and credible conclusions and determine appropriate actions
- Genuine enthusiasm and passion for philanthropy
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, or the equivalent combination of education and experience, plus SPHR certification
In addition, the successful candidate will likely have:
- An advanced degree (MBA or Master’s in Human Resources Management preferred)
Mountain View, CA
We seek to have someone in place by Spring 2019.
This position offers a competitive salary and includes a comprehensive benefits package. We actively welcome all candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills to fulfill this role – regardless of compensation history.
All applications are held in strict confidence. Please submit your credentials and a letter of interest through our private applicant portal to The 360 Group at:
Applications should be directed to the attention of Vincent Robinson, Managing Partner. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Earlier applicants may receive priority consideration. To be considered, The 360 Group encourages all interested candidates to submit their applications promptly, via the confidential applicant portal linked above.
At The 360 Group, we know that a richly diverse mix of professionals makes organizations more effective. Using that principle as our “North Star,” we make diversity a hallmark of our firm, and all of our search engagements. Learn more about The 360 Group at the360group.us.