On The Table Silicon Valley is back and building on the conversations we started last year. In 2017, thousands of people came together over a single day and throughout the region to share two things: a meal and stories about their own experiences with Silicon Valley's housing challenges. This year, On The Table is asking people to come together in conversation to work on solutions, and we hope you'll be part of the answer. By using the stories we shared in 2017 -- and the new connections we created -- we can now decide the best way forward for ensuring housing for everyone in Silicon Valley.
Conversations will take place on October 23, 2018. Everyone is welcome, new and returning participants alike.
Sponsored by Silicon Valley Community Foundation, this one-day event features meal-time discussions throughout San Mateo, Santa Clara and San Francisco counties about the housing challenages we face in Silicon Valley. It's a chance to get to know neighbors and colleagues, make new connections and inspire action.
Host a Conversation
Thinking about hosting, but want more information first? Join us at a host orientation before you sign up.
Reflections from 2017
In 2017, Silicon Valley Community Foundation launched its first On The Table, bringing together approximately 7,000 residents at nearly 800 conversations to talk about our regional housing challenges in the Bay Area.
Learn more about the activities that took place and the ideas and trends identified through the events:
More on the Housing Crisis
- SVCF Housing and Transit Report
- SVCF and Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy Silicon Valley Housing Crisis Policy Brief
- Video: Los Altos – An Affordable Place to Live in Silicon Valley?
- Philanthropy Now Podcast: Buena Vista Mobile Home Park
- CalMatters Podcast: California Housing Costs Creating Harsh Reality for Refugees
- Terner Center Policy Brief: Finding Common Ground on Rent Control
- KQED: Is Rent Control Working and Should We Have More or Less of It?
- San Francisco Public Press: Creative Solutions to Housing Crisis
OTT 2017 Coverage
Vallejo firm bets on modular housing to meet critical shortage
October 18, 2017
New direction in housing for S.F.’s homeless: modular
October 4, 2017
Stuck in the middle with few housing options
September 17, 2017
This project is part of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation's national replication of the On the Table civic engagement initiative pioneered by The Chicago Community Trust.