On The Table Silicon Valley is back and building on the conversations we started last year. In 2017, thousands of people came together to share stories about their experiences with Silicon Valley's housing challenges over a meal. This year, we're asking people to come together to work on solutions, and we hope you'll be part of the answer. By using the stories we shared in 2017 -- and the new connections we created -- we can decide the best way forward for ensuring housing for everyone in Silicon Valley.
Conversations will take place through November 26, 2018. Everyone is welcome.
On The Table will feature meal-time discussions throughout our region. It's a chance to get to know neighbors and colleagues, make new connections and inspire action around housing.
What's it like?
Thinking about hosting or attending an On The Table conversation this month? Wondering what it might look like, or what you'll discuss? Everyone is welcome, and no prior knowledge of housing issues is necessary. Check out the links below for more information, or feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hear what people said about On the Table 2017:
Join a Conversation
Several organizations throughout the region are hosting On the Table events -- and anyone is invited! Find the details here:
Complete your On The Table Survey
One of the most important aspects of On The Table are the surveys participants complete after their conversations. The last day to take the online survey or submit surveys to SVCF is Monday, November 26, 2018.
Host a Conversation
Thinking about hosting, but want more information first? Join us at a host orientation before you sign up.
Hosting an On The Table conversation? We've got you covered!
Couldn't make it to orientation? Watch a recording.
Download or print the Host Guide.
Print a guest sign in sheet
Print handouts for your guests
Check out the post-event survey instructions. After your conversation, please encourage participants to complete the On The Table survey by offering any combination of the following:
- Ask participants to text “OTT” to 30644 to immediately receive a link to the survey to complete on their mobile devices (this is SVCF’s recommended method!) or;
- Return your conversation sign-in sheet as soon as possible. After hosts have returned sign-in sheets, participants who wish to access the survey by email will be sent a link to the survey. To be eligible for this option, participants must provide an email address and indicate their preference on the sign-in sheet. Or;
- Make printed surveys available at your conversation, or;
- Direct participants to this page, siliconvalleycf.org/onthetable to access the survey
Reflections from 2017
In 2017, Silicon Valley Community Foundation launched its first On The Table, bringing together approximately 7,000 residents at nearly 800 conversations to talk about our regional housing challenges in the Bay Area.
Learn more about the activities that took place and the ideas and trends identified through the events:
More on the Housing Crisis
- SVCF Housing and Transit Report
- SVCF and Center for Continuing Study of the California Economy Silicon Valley Housing Crisis Policy Brief
- Video: Los Altos – An Affordable Place to Live in Silicon Valley?
- Philanthropy Now Podcast: Buena Vista Mobile Home Park
- CalMatters Podcast: California Housing Costs Creating Harsh Reality for Refugees
- Terner Center Policy Brief: Finding Common Ground on Rent Control
- KQED: Is Rent Control Working and Should We Have More or Less of It?
- San Francisco Public Press: Creative Solutions to Housing Crisis
This project is part of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation's national replication of the On the Table civic engagement initiative pioneered by The Chicago Community Trust.