With our new Philanthropy Now podcast series, we explore trends in the world of philanthropy, social impact initiatives in Silicon Valley and beyond, and look at how SVCF promotes innovative philanthropic solutions to challenging problems.
Today our host is Manuel Santamaria, SVCF’s vice president of strategic initiatives and grantmaking. In the first half of the episode, Manuel describes the grantmaking process that has served SVCF well over the past 10 years. He outlines the four “buckets” we aim to serve: economic security, building strong communities, education, and immigration. Manuel also talks about how the grantmaking process is going to change to celebrate our 10th anniversary.
Manuel then welcomes Valerie Cuevas onto the show to talk about the special anniversary grants we will be awarding throughout the year. Valerie is a senior program officer and the leader of our 10-year anniversary request for grant proposals. She talks about why we’re focusing on innovative ideas with our anniversary grants, and she puts out the call to anyone with a big idea to apply for a grant.
What you will learn:
- How our current grantmaking strategies have helped us have a major impact in the last decade
- Why the widening income disparity in Silicon Valley is a community issue we're working hard to address
- How skyrocketing housing costs are contributing to road congestion and pollution in Silicon Valley
- How you and your organization can apply for one of our special 2017 anniversary grants - up to 10 grants of $100,000!
- The four critical questions we want you to ask yourself about your big idea